Kristen Caven announces screenings of
her animated Oktoberfest play, The Dirndl Diaspora.
Kristen Baumgardner Caven is a writer, editor, publisher, artist, and comic known for her books, plays, performances, presentations, and parties. The author of 7 books on positive parenting, bullying, self-esteem, cartooning, thinking, fairytales and funny safe sex, plus several plays about Oakland, she’s been called a creative force and an inspiring community leader.
In 2020, Kristen helped create a virtual Oktoberfest in her community, turning her original play, The Dirndl Diaspora, into an animated movie and hosting an online dirndl contest that brought global participation. In 2021, a screening of this “intensely thoughtful and funny show” can enliven celebrations everywhere, give communities much to discuss, and bring costume inspiration for a kinder and more equal world.
See the show on demand 10/1 through 11/16. Zoom event is on 10/16.
What’s happening Fall 2021:
- Writing weekly as Writer in Residence at Joaquin Miller Park with the California Writers Club! Follow my blog, Walkin’ with Joaquin.
- “Working it Out with a Pencil” – Johnnie Talk about thinking things through with cartoons
- Joaquin Miller Nature, Art & Song Project – kids & their grownups sign up here!
- “A Blanket and a Basket of Chow” – October 9th picnic – Readings by California Writers featuring Oakland’s first poet laureate, Ayodele “Wordslanger” Nzinga
- The Dirndl Diaspora screenings – October 16th on Zoom & all month on demand. Tickets here.
- Bandaloop! Weekly creative & dance fitness classes with a literary twist + occasional dance adventures.
- Saving Mills College. Because it’s too good to lose.
I’m working on the 4th edition of The Winning Family with my mom. The last time we approached a publisher to bring it back into print, we ended up writing The Bullying Antidote! The message is the same: raising children with positive parenting (we invented that term) is the best prevention for all types of social harm.
“So Much Winning”
The Winning Family
The book will be released next April. Subscribe to blog & Museletter for announcements.